Monday, March 3, 2008

Softies gallore

I have been making a few new toys from the many fantastic books that I have ordered from Japan. It has been very exciting getting the deliveries last week from so far away. Most of the books are in English but a couple are in Japanese. Thankfully the pictures are very clear I have not had too many problems following them.

I have been making some small toys to go along with my friend Karen's larger rabbits. She makes these big rabbits (called Wibits) and they are dressed as different characters. She has this range that are dressed as baby rabbits and they come with a toy for a little extra.

I have so far made two sheep. They are made from white Coral fleece and black normal fleece. I made them while we were up at Jurien Bay. We would work on our new block during the day and then I would sew at night while Rob kicked back and relaxed with a book or chatted to me about our block. It looked like it had been snowing while I was making them as the Coral fleece is fluffy and there was fluff everywhere. They almost didn't get given to her as I took them to work and was playing with them on my desk and fell in love with my little flock. I have to learn to let go!

Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket

We were going to go to Bunbury this weekend and fly our new plane but the weather was not playing along. It was just too windy so we stayed in Perth, ate too much good food, visited heaps of people and I sewed while Rob cleaned his desk! Karen gave me some off cuts from the fabric she uses to make the big bunnies so that I could make some baby bunnies. It is velour and it feels sooo fantastic. You just want to keep touching the fabric because it feels so great. It sheds nearly as bad as the Coral fleece so you end up covered in this layer of fluff but I think that Rob is getting used to my extra layer of fur! I think that they turned out great. They are sooooooo cute. I have discovered safety eyes so they have these great big blue eyes that just clip in - this is much easier than trying to hand stitch them. I don't think they would have looked so cute with wonky, fluffy embroidered eyes.

Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket

They really look like baby bunnies and I think will go really well with their bigger counterparts. I don't know if I can part with them though. I have to resist the urge to name them and handle them too much.

No comments: